True North Baptist Church
A Baptist church congregation has existed in Florenceville-Bristol for almost 200 years. The first congregation would have met and had a church in East Florenceville. The building would have been built no later than the 1820's. In 1838 a Free Christian Baptist Church was built in Downtown Florenceville.
In 1863 land was purchased on the west side of the river and a new church was built. In 1866 the Florenceville Baptist Church was organized in West Florenceville as a member of the Regular Baptist denomination. This building still stands but has not been used since the 1970's.
In 1905-06 the denominations of Regular and Free Christian Baptists joined together to form the United Baptist Convention (now Canadian Baptist's of Atlantic Canada). The two East Florenceville Churches combined and rebuilt in downtown Florenceville (1912-1913 and 1939 after a fire on February 10, 1938). Included in the originial United Baptist Church field (early 1900's) was Connell, Florenceville (West), East Florenceville, and Bristol.
In the 1940's services in Connell were discontinued and the West side church discontinued services in the 1970's with parishoners travelling across the river to East Florenceville. It was in the late 1970's that Bristol and Florenceville Baptist Churches became separate fields.
Our Current Building
With expansion and upkeep needed in the downtown location and little land to find it was decided to build a new church in Florenceville in the 1980's. Our current location on Burnham Road was built and dedicated in March of 1989 as the Florenceville United Baptist Church (to become Florenceville Baptist Church in 2001). The building has been added to twice- once in 2002 and again in 2010.
In September 2005 it was decided by both the congregations of Florenceville Baptist Church and Bristol Baptist Church that the two would amalgamate to one church. The Bristol Baptist Church joined the Florenceville Baptist Church at the Burnham Road location.
True North Baptist Church
As the church serves the communities surrounding Florenceville-Bristol we realize we are no longer just Florenceville Baptist Church but a Baptist Church including many communities. In 2014 we began discussing the need to incorporate and as such choose a legal name. Since the congregation is not made up of people from just Florenceville or just Bristol it was decided that a neutral name would be chosen and True North Baptist Church was agreed upon and we began operating under that name on January 1, 2017.